Impact hammer for restringing

Delwin D Fandrich pianobuilders@olynet1.olynet.com
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 22:36:35 -0700

Lance Lafargue wrote:

> There must be some misunderstanding....  I may not be using the right term
> here.  I mean a tool to drive the tuning pins into the block.  In using the
> Scortino tool as I did on this last job, I drove dozens of pins in at a
> time.  Is there an air driven (or electric) tool used to hammer pins in.
> Would this possibly mess up tuning pin holes?  It seems that I've heard of
> some power tool being used.
> Lance Lafargue, RPT
> New Orleans Chapter
> Covington, LA.
> lafargue@iamerica.net
>
> ----------

I've been using an air hammer made by Aerosmith (now Danair, Inc.) for
about 25 years. It's saved a lot of wear and tear on my arm. This is the
same air hammer used by Baldwin and Walter and Kimball (while they were
still building pianos).

Danair, Inc.
PO Box 3898
Visalia, CA  93278

Phone  800.232-6247
Fax  800.234-1086

They have an online catalog available through the Thomas Register of
American Manufacturers.

The tool I use is model RN-16 with a modified piano tuning pin tip. If
they are as helpful when you call as they always have been with me,
they'll know what you are asking for. If not, get back to me and I can
probably dig up some more information and. possibly, a drawing of the
tip I use. I have no idea how many pianos I've strung with this thing.
Great tool.

--ddf