Impact hammer for restringing

barre41 barre46@ibm.net
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 23:33:33 -0500

Lance Lafargue wrote:

> I mostly worry about a pin driven in at a less than perfect angle,
> enlarging the hole.  There is no room for this kind of mistake.

Lance,

I, too, bought an air chisel, ground off the tip and ground a recess in
the shank to help keep it from slipping off the tuning pin. Before i
tried to put new pins in the new block, I practiced using the old pin
block to get the feel of it. It took suprising little practice to become
quite confident with driving the pins in this manner. The force can be
controlled somewhat by adjusting the air pressure and I believe that the
short rapid strokes drive the pin with ease. During the practice you
learn how to control the trigger of tha air hammer to give just a very
few strokes just inching the pin to where you want it.

I like to install all the pins almost all the way and then use the
Sciortino Insta-coiler to string them. Works quite well.

Norman Barrett
Memphis, TN