How much for Vogue?

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 23:54:51 -0600

Hello list.

The piano that started the whole "soundboard" thread and spin-offs is about
to be completed.

I was looking for a couple of opinions on what I should charge for it.  It
is a 1929 VOGUE.  I never heard of it either!  The plate says "Howard
Moraneous piano co" of Indiana.  It was my first rebuild and I was assisted
in most steps by an experienced rebuilder.  Here is what I did and it's
condition:

New keytops - plate removed and cleaned up and repainted - soundboard
cleaned up and sanded and varnished (after all that soundboard advice, I
varnished it.  Go figure!) One small split in soundboard, not feasible for
shim, glued shut-  Bridge cleaned up and few small cracks glued and checked
(good) - Complete restringing (old pinblock okay - used longer #4 pins,
please hold flames for using old pinblock, I know.)  Finish received a good
deal of touch up and reconditioning.  Finish is good but does show age via
small "character veins" (tiny cracks under top coat).

Please hold all flames for rebuild procedure.  This was my first and I know
I didn't do everything some of you would do.  Frankly, this is NOT a high
quality piano.  It has no agraffs and a console style, bass only sostenuto.
 It wasn't worth refinishing the cabinet.  I would have probably screwed up
the new pinblock and the old one really was in good shape.  The new pins
are nice and tight.  It is a nice little grand for someone who wants a step
up from a console.  A good kids or apartment piano.  It fell into my lap
and I wasn't prepared for it!

Thanks in advance,

Glenn.