Room Dehumidifiers vs. Dampp-Chaser

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Fri, 22 Aug 1997 03:13:43 -0500

OK now put the humidity guage (and temp guage, (very good, a diff of
7 degrees F? ) )on top of the soundboard and record the measurement.

Richard Moody

----------
From: Susan Kline <skline@proaxis.com>
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Room Dehumidifiers vs. Dampp-Chaser
Date: Friday, August 22, 1997 1:59 AM

At 11:02 PM 8/21/97 -0500, Richard Moody wrote:
>I still have not figured out how a Dampchaser can keep a zone of
>humidity different from the room the piano is in more than three
>inches away from the heat bar, or the water tank.
>
>Richard Moody
>ps  No I havn't measured the humidity 2 inches 3 inches 14 inches 25
>inches away from a damp chaser.    Nor compared the values above and
>below the soundboard.  But some one has or is gonna ??

Dear Richard,

In this benign climate, the whole question of humidity control is
vastly
different than for most of the folks in places like New Orleans or
Wichita.

However, I do tune one 3-year-old Steinway L near the coast that has
two
dampp-chaser rods underneath (with humidistat, of course). I was
interested
in what they really were doing, so I measured the temperature and
humidity
in the room (on the left key block, to be exact) and then put the
gauge on
top of a back post under the piano while I finished the tuning. One
rod was
about a foot to the side, the other was about two feet in front of
the
meter. I imagine the difference in readings occurs because the heat
rises
and gets trapped by the sides of the piano.

In room: 70º F, 60% RH
On top of backpost: 77º F, 51% RH

Not much, but it's a start ---

Susan