Room Dehumidifiers vs. Dampp-Chaser

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Fri, 22 Aug 1997 07:26:27 -0700 (PDT)

At 03:13 AM 8/22/97 -0500, you wrote:
>OK now put the humidity guage (and temp guage, (very good, a diff of
>7 degrees F? ) )on top of the soundboard and record the measurement.
>
>Richard Moody

Okay, Richard, next time I'm there I'll read it on the keyblock, on top of
the backpost, and on the soundboard, probably near the straight side, about
1/2 way back. However, the tuning on the piano is quite stable by now, so I
only expect to see it about once a year ... also, the lid is usually shut
(with a scarf or blanket on top), but it will be open for the tuning, so
that might throw the soundboard reading off.

Actually, I didn't care about the 7º F difference, but the 9% RH reduction
was pleasant. (Sure beats a kick in the pants ...) <g>

Yours,

Susan

>----------
>From: Susan Kline <skline@proaxis.com>
>To: pianotech@ptg.org
>Subject: Re: Room Dehumidifiers vs. Dampp-Chaser
>Date: Friday, August 22, 1997 1:59 AM
>
>At 11:02 PM 8/21/97 -0500, Richard Moody wrote:
>>I still have not figured out how a Dampchaser can keep a zone of
>>humidity different from the room the piano is in more than three
>>inches away from the heat bar, or the water tank.
>>
>>Richard Moody
>>ps  No I havn't measured the humidity 2 inches 3 inches 14 inches 25
>>inches away from a damp chaser.    Nor compared the values above and
>>below the soundboard.  But some one has or is gonna ??

>Dear Richard,
snip --

>In room: 70º F, 60% RH
>On top of backpost: 77º F, 51% RH
>
>Not much, but it's a start ---
>
>Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"Here is a guaranteed way to get more of what you want: want less."
			--Ashleigh Brilliant