Climate control

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Fri, 22 Aug 1997 09:17:10 -0500

I totally agree and understand your point.  I was initially drawn into this
thread because someone said that a room DH was not as good an option as a
Dampp Chaser.  I believe in some cases it can be.  I sell/install
approximately 50 or so DH systems a year (for over ten years).  I strongly
believe in them and preach that to my customers daily.  I do not install
the humidifier portion because of our climate.  I don't feel that I can
justify the expense and trouble (whatever it's degree) to the customer in
OUR climate.  I will be buying (if my study calls for it) the most accurate
of measuring devices and studying our humidity hear this winter (in the
home).  From that info and the info from the local weather bureau and
indoor heating/cooling info., I will crown MYSELF the local Climate Control
Expert and dish out my opinion with great authority and expense. (ha!)  I
am the ONLY technician in my area that really pushes the units (most are
threatened by them thinking it will hurt tuning business and are just
ignorant) and am sorry that so many pianos are suffering here.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net

----------
> From: DaleP34429@aol.com
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Climate control
> Date: Thursday, August 21, 1997 7:27 AM
>
>  <AGAIN, the room DH can be easily hooked to a hose and run through a
wall,
> out of the house.  There is no scum, etc.  The Room DH has a humidistat
> just like the Dampp Chase does and will shut off when it gets too dry.
> Louisiana's heat index has been in the 110+ range with 90+ RH and my room
> DH kicks on very seldom and keeps my shop (18'x24') at 48%RH (or whatever
> set it at).  Both have advantages and disadvantages.  The adding of water
> is a hassle for the Dampp Chaser.  Would a room DH REALLY cost MORE than
> TWO complete systems???  I don't know.
> Lance Lafargue, RPT>
>
> Lance,
>
> Lack of humidity is not a problem in your area but it can be in others.
The