Pinblock removal reply

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Sat, 30 Aug 1997 07:26:19 -0500

----------
> From: Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Pinblock removal
> Date: Friday, August 29, 1997 8:56 PM
>
> DGPEAKE@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > Can you remove the sides?  I had to glue sides back on a piano that
fell off
> > a truck. If you can remove them to get to the pinblock, then fit the
block,
> > drill it, and glue the sides back on.
> >
> > Steve Ganz, RPT in Portland, OR is now installing a pinblock and
soundboard
> > on an upright.  You may want to give him a call.
> >
> > Dave Peake, RPT
> > Portland, OR
>
> It's always easier to pull an upright pinblock with the sides removed.
> And it's about the only way to get at the soundboard.
>
> Your mention of the upright Steve Ganz is doing doesn't really apply,
> however. (I'm taking the liberty of briefly describing this piano
> because he is not on pianotech and because I'm somewhat familiar with
> the piano. We're making the soundboard for it.) It is a George Steck
> from, perhaps, 1910 or so. There is no back assembly. The soundboard is
> glued to a simple maple frame which is then solidly screwed to the back
> of the plate. The pinblock is exposed and is screwed and/or bolted into
> a recess provided on the front of the plate. An iron "sub-plate" extends
> over part of the pinblock surface to give it extra support, though it
> probably isn't really needed.
>
> I saw the piano before it was torn down and was quite impressed with its
> design. Steve has since sent me pictures of them disassembling the
> piano. The entire case assembly, including the keybed and arms unbolted
> and lifted off intact, leaving the plate, soundboard and pinblock on the
> tilter. Interesting construction.
>
> If this description whet's your appetite, contact Steve for more
> details.
>
> --ddf
> Delwin D Fandrich
> pianobuilders@olynet.com
Del,
The first piano I owned was a 1904 Steck upright Circa 1904.  It did not
have backposts but a cast iron frame in the back where the posts would have
been.  If the piano you are describing was made in 1910 it looks like they
didn't stick with the 1904 design very long.
	I have read that during the last part of George Stecks life he was
obsessed with trying to find a design that would hold tune indefinitely.
These were some of his methods I guess.
James Grebe
pianoman@inlink.com