Heintzman Pianos

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Mon, 29 Dec 1997 12:16:41 -0700

At 01:19 AM 12/29/97 -0600, Danny wrote:

>I really think the real deal at this point is honesty and ethical
behavior.  I've
>never heard of a Heniztman, but I'll bet it doesn't have either the
quality or
>resale value of a M&H or S&S.  So, if it's worth, say, $5,000 on a good

You might lose your bet, Danny, although not by much. The Heintzman was a
very high quality Canadian piano that rivaled both M&H and S&S in its day.
You may still see more Heintzmans on concert stages here in Canada than you
would M&H. Those built in the last 40 years may not be much to write home
about, but earlier Heintzman grands and uprights were and are superb
pianos. The last really decent Heintzman grands built in the 1960s were
fitted with Renner actions with ivory keys and leather key bushings.

The unsubstantiated story is that Theodore Heintzman and Henry Steinway
shared work areas and ideas back in the last century when they were both
immmigrants to the New World working at Lighte & Newton. One idea they may
have shared was how to make a piano as difficult to tune as possible, since
that is a trait both pianos seem to possess.

>day, one
>probably shouldn't convince the customer it's worth spending $22,500 for a
>complete rebuild.

We do it all the time up here in the not-so-frozen north, where Heintzmans
are as popular as S&S are in other places. Rebuilt Heintzman uprights and
grands, especially pre-WWII, are (or can be) spectacular and are well-worth
the cost of rebuilding. Will they have "good" resale value in the USA?
Probably not because the name recognition is almost non-existant. They were
a quality piano though, and with the exception of the later verticals
shouldn't be brushed-off as an "inferior" instrument.

				John

Season's Greetings from  John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada - musselj@cadvision.com
http://www.cadvision.com/musselj/