Yamaha Silent Piano

Eric Leatha tunrboy@teleport.com
Wed, 08 Jan 1997 17:35:58 -0800

>In <v01530502aef7944e95de@[206.163.124.217]>, on 01/06/97
>   at 10:07 PM, tunrboy@teleport.com (Eric Leatha) said:
>
>>Charles,
>
>>I do hope when you refer to letoff at 6-8mm, you are speaking of letoff
>>with the shank stopper apron engaged.  Letoff in "acoustic" mode is as
>>most Yamahas- 2mm.
>
>Forgive my ignorance, as this is the first of these pianos that I've seen,
>but are you saying that I can have 2 letoff measurements?  One for
>acoustic mode, and one for silent mode?  If this is possible, that would
>of course resolve my problem, and I would very much like to know how this
>is done.
>
>>I work on many of these pianos and I must tell you I have not heard this
>>complaint from a customer (maybe I should ask!).
>
>Don't ask!  I think for most people this would not be an issue.  For some
>however, it could be.
>

>Charles Farinella, RPT
>c_farinella@conknet.com
I stuck my head in an MP100 today to check the letoff specifications and
sure enough, I was wrong.  5-7 mm in acoustic, 6-8mm with the apron
engaged.  My apologies for not imparting good information. Yes that does
seem like quite a distance, but as Jim Coleman noted, with the
schwander-style springs you need more distance.
As for the loosening of spring tension I posted last night, I've made this
work with a Samick.  I haven't had the need with a Yamaha.

Eric Leatha, RPT
Portland, OR
tunrboy@teleport.com
"The Buddha, the Godhead, is just as at home in the circuits of a computer
or the action of piano as on the top of a mountain or the petals of a Lotus
flower."
-Robert Persig (freely interpreted by undersigned)