Lo bass tuning

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Thu, 09 Jan 1997 13:50:17 -0500 (EST)

<< I need some help.  I tuned a Kimball laPetite a month ago using my SAT and
 the customer called me back complaining about the low bass being out of
 tune.  >>

Ted,

You'll get lots of sympathy on this one, because it's probably happened to
everyone, and it can be frustrating. This is the piano's fault, not yours,
and realizing this can allow you to confidently explain the problem, rather
than weakly defending your tuning. I've found that the most important first
step is to AGREE WITH THE CLIENT that those notes DO sound bad (no doubt
about that on this piano). THEN (if you're satisfied with the tuning), you
can talk about the reasons with her. I explain that the ideal piano is much
longer than this, and in making shorter pianos, manufacturers are forced by
the laws of physics to make greater and greater compromises in the design,
which results in more and more impurity in what the strings put out,
especially in the bass.

I'd certainly be willing to try some different octave sizes to see if there's
one that is a better COMPROMISE (call it that) for her. Otherwise, there is
no modification that will improve this significantly (save gluing on an extra
two feet of piano) with the possible exception of voicing, and even here
there are limits. Since there are few low partials, voice away too many high
partials and you are left with exactly Thud.

With the right explanation, you don't insult her by saying that her piano
sucks. Just suggest that because of her sensitive ear, she may require a
better instrument (this being the truth). Then it becomes her choice, rather
than your fault.

Best of luck,
Bob Davis