FAC measurements on similar pianos

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.com
Thu, 09 Jan 1997 14:24:16 -0500

Newton Hunt wrote:

>Moisture content of the board will vary the FAC numbers one the _same_ piano.

  At first I thought, no way.  How could the moisture content of the board
affect
inharmonicity?  Then I thought of a way.  If the board swells up, the pitch
rises.
To tune the pitch back to standard, the string must be lengthened slightly from
the tuning pin end.  This brings a new point of contact on the string at the
tuning pin end of its speaking length.  Now bends in the string at the point
of contact are known to affect inharmonicity.  If the new point of contact has
a different amount of bend from the old point of contact, inharmonicity can
be changed.  Can anyone think of another mechanism by which this
could occur?

   -Bob Scott