DETERMINING PIANO AGE

james allen bickerton jbickerton@abraxis.com
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 13:22:18 -0500

While attempting to ascertain the age of a piano with the brand name
Henry F. Miller, I noticed that the name Ivers & Pond Piano was
stenciled on the fallboard.  The serial number is 100513.  When looking
in the Piano Atlas, a Henry F. Miller with that serial number would have
been made in 1961.  An Ivers & Pond with the same serial number would
have been made in 1964.  To complicate the situation, the original owner
purchased the piano somewhere in the early to mid - 60's - she can't
remember the exact year.  My question is, what is the rule of thumb, if
any, on brand names vice stenciled names in determining piano age?
                                          JIM