kawai tuning stability <"kawai tuning stability"@amenti.rutgers.edu> (Jan 24, 12:03am)

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 13:28:18 -0500

My experience with new Kawais is that they need to be tuned more often than
some other new pianos because they use higher tension scales so the elongation
factor is higher and stability is lower until the strings are well stretched
out.  This is not a real problem, except for the tuner.

Some pins are tight, some coils are higher than others so there is a different
response to tuning.

If one wanted to lift coils, level coils, tighten beckets and then retune there
would be no problem, but I would tune those pianos again and then check for
unisons.

I don;t believe there is a problem unless the piano is tuned with the idea of
analyzing before and after tuning.

	Newton