Pearl River Piano Specs

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 21:31:56 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Carol. I guess it would be cruel and unsympathetic of me to say
that it really doesn;t matter how you regulate them, they're still
going to sound and play as bad as they do now, so I won't say it! :)
If you're familiar with them, the Pearl River pianos closly resemble
the earliest Samicks that came into this country under the name
Horugel. (Remember "Horrible Horugels"?). It would take way too much
time and space to list all the failings of those early Samicks, but they
certainly helped to redefine the phrase "piece of crappola"! When Pearl
River pianos first started coming here from mainland China, they were
even WORSE than the ones coming in today. The first four I saw, about
ten years ago, had tuning pins and strings that were so badly rusted
that we had to restring them before we could sell them. They could not
be tuned at all the way they were. It was a common problem back then,
which is why they quickly became know as "Pearl Harbors". We restrung,
regulated and tuned them and it was some of the most unrewarding work
I ever did. If you promised to do a truck-load of them, keep the Ex-
cedrine handy. You're going to need it! Have fun!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net