Upright Damper Blocks

Bill Ballard yardbird@sover.net
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 21:44:22 -0500 (EST)

On 3/11/97, Newton Hunt <nhunt@jagat.com> rote:
<<Forget using APSCos blocks.  The angles of the holes are wrong.>>

Only Mad Dogs and Englishmen use rectangular blocks

<<Forget cutting dowels and get the regular dowels with blocks from supply
house.  >>

Don't worry. Jon Page emailed me right off with that suggestion. I called
him up
and , on the spot he was able to confirm that they weren't significantly
smaller in diameter than 3/8", and that the quality was good. Now, my
olny problem is waiting two days for APSCo to walk out into the stock
room, another half day to find a small box to ship them in, another
another three to find the scotch tape to seal the box up with. <g>
Actually, I just wanted to see who out there had made their own set.

On 3/11/97, Horace Greeley <hgreeley@leland.Stanford.EDU> rote:
<<I seem to remember that the Yamaha blocks worked.>>

Yes, they are beautiful damper blocks. (I put new action parts in a HS
Yamaha P202 in 1988.) But they're not available through the Schaff
channel, and to order them from Yamaha, you need a serial number for that
particular piano.  I had order to felts (for Model K) from Steinway, and
tried to shake loose the round damper blocks (with overdamper wires)
which the factory puts into the Model K. Glorir told me that the blocks
are part and parecl of the sets which NY orders for its own production
inventory from Hamburg (more likely, Renner). I'f I wanted one such set

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter

"There are fifty ways to screw up on this job. If you can think of twenty
of them, you're a genius......and you aint no genius"
Mickey Rourke to William Hurt, in "Body Heat", discussing arson.