Ethical quandry

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 13:59:45 -0500

Dear Thomas,
        I have returned appraisal fees to the customer explaining that I
recieved a commission from the dealer.  The customer will be yours forever.
        Or you could do a free tuning for her at some later date.
        Ethical lines are clear.  You should not get paid twice for the same
job.
        Look at the other side of the coin.  If she did not buy that piano
then you are in the right to keep the fee.  Your time is worth much to you
and to her.  If she buys a piano from a dealer or a private individual who
will not give you a commission then you keep the fee.
        I have had to pass up commissions from two dealers because I was on
salary at the University.  As a sate employee those commissions could have
been construed as kickbacks or some such other illegel compensation.

        Been there.  Done that.  Paid that.  Lost that.

                Newton
                nhunt@jagat.com