noise

AKarab@aol.com AKarab@aol.com
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 00:45:46 -0500 (EST)

The fact that you mention that the tick only recurs after some lapse of time
suggests to me that it is some kind of contamination of the knuckles (I'm
assuming its a grand because of your description of the symptom--this could
just be another visualization gone awry!).  I have seen this from lacquer
based lubricants being used on knuckles, my partner Jack has just such a
specimen.  The lacquer pools on the bottom/ outside of the skin and the jack
or maybe even just the window must break free of the bond that forms after a
couple of hours, causing the tick.  I would be suprised if any surface
treatment had a lasting effect.  Other techs have indicated to me over the
years that basically you have to replace knuckles once they have been lacqued
if you want to get rid of the symptom.  You can try brushing them (hard with
a brass wire brush) (then applying teflon powder) but as they compress the
tick may return.  Of course, this could be an opportunity to replace the
shanks as well if you have teflon bushings involved.

Best wishes,
Audrey Karabinus,  Seattle