hysterical temperaments

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 23:54:53 -0600

Jim wrote:

  To Doug and the list:
  You might want to try a more mild form of Well Temperament before
  you
  write it off as "Crankmeister II" or some such.

Jim,
Having attended Virgil's class at national, I doubt that most of us are
ready to write off what you and he are proposing.  I don't have an
AccuTuner, so I especially appreciate your aural explanation.  It's
difficult for me to convert from SAT to aural because of my lack of
familiarity with the machine.

Isn't what you're calling the ColemanIV basically the same temperament
Virgil tunes?  If not, what are the differences?

While this temperament seems to sound "sweeter" than the ET, how much of
that is "real" and how much is merely perception.  (I know, it's all
perception - if I were a native of Bali, I would probably hate
everything but Gamelian.)  Most of us have never heard anything but ET.
Perhaps the modified well temperament is appealing simply because it's
new and fresh to most of us.  Then too, you're still discussing Baroque,
Classical and Romance periods.  How will Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea or
(gasp) Little Richard fair with this temperament?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Danny Moore
Houston Chapter