Kimballs and breaking strings

Wed, 14 May 1997 09:27:45 -0700

Les,

Is this, by any chance, one of the 43xx or 44xx series uprights?

Actually, the mid-60s Wurlitzer studios are harder to tune.

Personally, I find tuning most uprights like trying to nail Jello to a wall.

(Actually, the question is serious - those series instruments had, among
other issues, a higher tension scale.)

Best.

Horace

>Not known as a string breaker, I tuned a Kimball today and yet another
>string broke. When I began making preparations to splice it, I could
>actually see the wire had elongated where it went around the pin at the
>top, and thus no splicing.  Does it have to do with "high tension
>scales"?  Am I the only one in the world who finds Kimballs hate
>
>Information on just what constitutes a high tension scale, why such were
>made in the first place, and are they still used would also be
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>

>Leslie Bartlett

Horace Greeley			hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu