Midi pianos

Michel Lachance chance@InterLinx.qc.ca
Thu, 22 May 1997 12:26:04 +0000

David ilvedson wrote:

> List,
>
> I have a customer with a Yamaha S-400 who is interested in the
> possiblity of adding Midi to his piano.  This isn't something I
> have done and I told him I would post the List.  Does anyone
> know who will add Midi to a piano?  We do not want to do
> anything that will harm the integrity of the instrument.  I
> believe this would entail sensors under the front of the keys as
> per Disclaviers.  He wants to be able to use his computer to
> notate what he is improvising.
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> ilvey
> Pacifica, CA
> ilvey@a.crl.com

Hi Dave,

I happen to work on a MIDI system in my spare times and I would
definitally go for a dummy MIDI keyboard (about the same price?)
unless the customer wants to record PIANO music exclusively.

A regular piano as a controller would cause some problems when you are
doing multi-tracks recording, unless you are able to mute the sound
completly. The sound of the piano itself would interfere with the
electronic sounds you want to listen to through the headphones.  Not
speaking about the intonation conflicts between electronic and
acoustic when the piano gets a little out of tune.  You should inquire
about the needs of your customer.

Michel Lachance, RPT