Midi pianos - Yes, But. . .

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Thu, 22 May 1997 11:50:19 -0500

Horace Greeley wrote:

> Jon, et al.
> This is my experience as well.
> Horace
>
> >He might be better off with a midi keyboard. >
> >Jon Page
> >Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)

Without sounding too much like the devil's advocate here, consider the
way the thing feels when you play it.  I currently use an Elka MK series
controller professionally, prior to that, I used a Roland RD series.
The manufacturer's have made valliant attempts at emulating the touch
and feel of a piano keyboard, and they are much better than the spongy
synth feel, but they are still not a piano action.

One can truly say that a MIDIed piano feels just like a piano.  I would
suspect that a "pianist" would prefer to work within the technical
limitations of a MIDI piano in order to retain the tactile perception of
the instrument.  We seem to have a new breed of musician today, the
"keyboardist" - the master of the spongy feeling synth action.

Hmm . . . could this lead to another case of "pianist envy?"

Just more thoughts to consider.

Danny Moore
Houston Chapter