Pedal dowel bushings-glue-less: Was CA glue quirk

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Thu, 29 May 1997 23:41:39 -0700 (PDT)

At 12:33 AM 5/30/97 -0400, you wrote:
>> Given also that the rubber and plastic and tape will turn to ossified crud
>>  over (a long) time anyway, I said "never again" and went to bushing cloth.
>
>I agree with Susan. The old method really had something going for it here.
>
>Susan, I don't even glue them. I just reach up from underneath and jam the
>pointed ends of the two pieces of bushing cloth (say, two inches long) into
>the hole in the lever, then reach down from the top and grab them w/needle
>nose pliers and draw them up halfway through. I admit I don't do this very
>often, but I don't remember having to take out an action to do it. Am I
>overlooking something here? Probably...
>
>Bob Davis

Probably the only thing you're overlooking is a touch of paranoia on my
part. I fret that over time unglued strips might find ways to migrate,
though I've seen no evidence of it. Also, the 80- or 100-year-old wonders
with the factory original "ears" which are often still working perfectly
always had them glued.

The actions I tend to remove for this are consoles, with little room for
reaching the lever in the piano. More often, if a console action is already
out for something else I'll put on the "ears" while it's easy.

I wish the factories hadn't decided on grommets, which often fail in fairly
short lengths of time, in comparison with the life expectancy of a piano.

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"By doing just a little every day, I can gradually let the task completely
overwhelm me."
			          -- Ashleigh Brilliant