Recrowning

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Fri, 30 May 1997 01:32:06 -0500

(Leonard, among others talked about this, I am not sure if he
endorsed it.)

Knowing Leonard, you might be right.  He could be slyly derisive, but
would never go too far over one's head. He was a great teacher,
knowing what the student needed to understand.

R Moody

----------
> From: Horace Greeley <hgreeley@leland.Stanford.EDU>
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re: Recrowning
> Date: Thursday, May 29, 1997 9:48 AM
>
> Richard and list,
>
> AHA, there's the rub.
>
> Even if you put in multiple wedges, the crown so induced has a net
affect
> only on the area of the board in the immediate vicnity of the
bridge.
> (Leonard, among others talked about this, I am not sure if he
endorsed it.)

> Also, "wedge" is a relative term.  In this case, it would be not so
much a
> wedge as a shim, driven into a saw kerf after the board is jacked
up.  The
> kerf, to be effective, would have to be made _prior_ to jacking up
the
> board, so as to be more open when the crown is "corrected", thus
allowing a
> larger wedge, which would, in turn, not only be more effectively
clamped in
> place, but would create more "staying power" in the induced crown.
The
> placement of the kerfs should be determined during the taking of
your very
> painstaking measurements...
>
> Like I said, just about as much trouble as installing a new board,
without
> the benefits.
>
> Best.
>
> Horace
>

> >In reply, so as to keep the thread on Horace's comments, I seem to
> >remember Leonard Jared talking about placing a wedge in the bridge
> >ala keystone fashion. This would involve cutting the bridge in
such a
> >way to insert this as I don't think he mentioned removing the
bridge.
> > This is so vague in my memory, I am not sure of any other
details.
> >Perhaps some one else has heard of this.  The soundboard had to
> >"jacked up" the incision made (before or after?) in a
predetermined
> >spot, the wedge inserted, and the sb let back down.  This was only
> >from "hearsay" and  was it from him even??
> >	Even if this is a case of me not distingushing dreams from
reality,
> >(is that why I perceive some saying, "Ah ha, he has let the cat
out
> >of the bag?") on THINKing about this, more than one wedge might be
> >needed.  But where?  Also I would like to ask, how does the bridge
> >run in relation to the crown?
> >
> >Richard Moody
> >
> >"I wanted only to try to live in accord with the promptings
> >which came from my true self.
> >Why was that so very difficult?"
> >Hermann Hesse  Demian
> >

> >Ever seen a wine cork placed between the wooden post and a rib?
> >Probably to stop a buzz. Not the one created by uncorking the wine
> >bottle.   rm
> >

> >----------
> >> From: Horace Greeley <hgreeley@leland.Stanford.EDU>
> >> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> >> Subject: Re: Recrowning
> >> Date: Wednesday, May 28, 1997 8:08 PM
> >>
> >> Jon,
> >>
> >> Gee, I don't know, this is my fourth post to the list in one
day...

> >> Sure - this is something a bunch of us retired a long time ago.
It
> >does
> >> keep surfacing, however.
> >>
> >> So, now that you know what my prejudice is:
> >>
> >> While there are different methods, the deal is to disassemble
the
> >piano,
> >> usually invert it, wedge the board up by driving wedges(!)
between