"continual" bridges

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Fri, 30 May 1997 23:51:33 -0700

Dave Sanderson wrote:

> On Fri, 30 May 1997 10:18:38 -0400 (EDT) A440A@aol.com
> Ed Foote writes:
> >Greetings,  <snip>
> > Observe the effort
> >put into the continual bridges that make the treble and bass bridge as
> one
> >unit.  This is not an easy manufacturing process, but the results are
> worth
> >it when you have a large board to energize.
> Thanks for the informative post. one question...Do you really mean treble
> and bass bridge as a continual unit? I don't think I've ever seen this.
> I'm trying to picture it.  If so what manufacturers used this method?
> Thanks,
> David Sanderson
> Littleton, MA
> pianobiz@juno.com

David,

I did an off-brand grand recently that had that arrangement.  The lower
end of the tenor bridge bent around kind of like a shepherds crook and
became the bass bridge.  The strangest thing though was on the low tenor
wound strings. They had extremely long stretches of plain wire between
the hitch and the beginning of the winding for some reason!  It's been
too long to remember the details.

At the time I remembered thinking that it was "Rube Goldberg"
engineering!  Sounds like I might have been wrong.

Warren
--
Home of The Humor List
Warren D. Fisher