Bandsaw Advice

Thu, 06 Nov 1997 08:52:46 -0800

Newton Hunt wrote:

> Lance,
>         I had a Delta (14" made here in USA) once, and promptly sold it.  I had
> been using an Inca (Swiss) and the difference was going from a Porsche
> (pronounce the 'e') to an old Ford Falcon.

----------

I'd probably describe it more as going from a Porsche (pronounce the 'e' as if it were 'uh') to a
Volvo. I loved my Porsche, but it didn't make a very good work vehicle. My Volvo is very tough and
very reliable, stays in tune forever, pulls trailers with relative ease and just generally does what
I ask of it every day. True it doesn't accelerate or handle like my Porsche did, but it takes
whatever I throw at it in stride and doesn't complain.

I also had an Inca for a little while -- in between Delta's. I sold it and went back to the Delta.
The Inca was a beautifully made machine, but it was way too light weight for the kind of daily hard
use I expect from a bandsaw. Perhaps if your usage is only occasional the Inca might be a good
choice, but for heavy duty, daily work, give me a Delta every time. Plus I needed more than a 10"
throat. I also tried the three-wheel Inca -- another nicely built machine, but I found that it
flexed way to much under heavy load. Also the small wheels were a bit hard on blades.

Someone else suggested the General -- I've never owned one, but I have examined them at trade shows
and from what I have seen of them I would also concur with that recommendation. They appeared to be
very well designed and constructed machines.

Ditto, the Powermatic. Although somewhat more expensive, it (or the General) probably would be my
choice if cost were no object. All of these machines can take a 3/4" blade as the need arises (they
also claim to be able to take 1/4" blades, but I wouldn't bother) and all of them can wade through
just about anything you're likely to throw at them in a working rebuilding shop without complaining
overly much.

-- ddf