Ribs at Steak

Thu, 06 Nov 1997 09:28:15 -0800

Antares wrote:

> So either you throw the piano into the canal around the corner (here in Amsterdam), or you do something with the old soundboard. We can replace it and we can put new ribs on the old board.
> I choose for the old soundboard, because it is the soul of the piano, it gives the instrument its' specific character, and when we replace this character we do not accurately know what we get back instead.
> Those who are masters in soundboards must agree...sometimes we get back a much more beautiful instrument, but once in a while we get what we call here "een zeeperd" and this is Amsterdam slang for the occasional bummer.
> Then....there is the fact that Bechstein has thinner and weaker soundboards than for instance Steinway, they are completely different, and in my humble (say what?) experience it is better to take such drastic measures with an older Bechstein.
> I have also experience with "new ribbing" of old Steinway grands, but I have come to the conclusion that it is probably better to either replace the complete soundboard or to leave the soundboard the way it was, because Steinways are 1. stronger and 2. Steinway has a special process of installing the soundboard.

Very interesting. No, this is not something that we do. By the time the pianos reach our shop, the soundboards and the ribs are pretty far gone.

But now I have another question. Do you know how the original Bechstein was "bellied?"
That is, do you know how the factory obtained the original crown in the soundboard? Did they use crowned ribs? What?

> Now...time for a humble question:
> I would like to know why it is better not to fool around with Steinway soundboards...
> As far as I have understood, one should not take the board out because "it was glued into the rim under certain conditions (maybe pressure conditions?)
> I have heard professionals say this in several factories, so there must be truth in this statement. I would really appreciate it if someone would come forward with an answer. After all, that is what this list is for..right?

> CONCERT PIANO SERVICE
> André Oorebeek
> Amsterdam, the Netherlands
>
> ‰  where MUSIC is no harm can be  ‰

Andre,

I'm replying privately because part of what I have to say is not yet ready for publication. I'm preparing a series of articles on this subject for the PTG Journal. This three part series will start in December. It discusses in depth how several piano manufacturers obtain crown in their soundboards, Steinway among
them. The rapid deterioration of some soundboards is inherent in the way they are crowned.

In a nutshell, the problem can be traced to the technique that -- for lack of anything better -- I have named "compression crowning." This is the practice of drying the soundboard panel to a moisture content of approximately 3.5% to 4.0% just prior to gluing the ribs onto the panel. When the finished assembly is
exposed to normal atmosphere the soundboard panel once again absorbs moisture and tries to swell. Since the ribs are constraining the panel, it cannot expand so the assembly "warps" into the curve that we call "crown." This assembly is then dried again to a very low moisture content just prior to being glued into
the piano rim. When exposed to normal atmosphere, the internal pressure that builds up in these board is quite high. In fact, it is so high that it causes permanent damage to the wood cell structure.

This is all explained in somewhat more detail in the articles. I don't know if you receive the Journal. If not, and if you would like to read these articles, let me know. Some time back I offered to send you a copy of our newsletter if you would let me know your mailing address. The offer still stands and I'll
include these articles as soon as I have Part III finished. Which should be soon. The only condition is that you not discuss the contents of the articles on the Internet until after they have appeared in print in the Journal.

Regards,

Del

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: vcard.vcf