SAT QUESTION

Michel Lachance chance@InterLinx.qc.ca
Sat, 08 Nov 1997 09:45:15 +0000

CheetoLD@aol.com wrote:

> List,
>    was just wondering...Does the SAT really tune better than aural tuning? I
> bet both sides have strong opinions. ;-)
>
> Caleb

There have been quite a lot of arguments about that issue on this list
but, I don't remember anyone stating that a SAT tuning was better that
aural tuning.

We can sum up the pro-SAT arguments:

1.  A SAT can reproduce at will an aural tuning previously stored in the
device.   So, a SAT tuning can also be an aural tuning.

2.  A SAT tuning can be as accurate as a good aural tuning and if it is
not, we can improve it aurally, store the modifications, and keep it for
further use.

3.  The automatic offset permits a pitch-raise tuning that brings up the
piano on pitch right at the first pass.

A SAT tuning is not better than aural tuning.  But when you only have 45
minutes to proceed a concert tuning on a very noisy stage, it can save a
smile on your face.

Michel