piano scams

Sy Zabrocki only4zab@imt.net
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 00:12:52 -0700

----------
From: 	Sy Zabrocki[SMTP:only4zab@imt.net]
Sent: 	Saturday, November 15, 1997 12:08 AM
To: 	'pianotech@ptg.org'
Subject: 	RE: piano scams

>From Sy Zabrocki

Mr. Martin:

You state in your post that "You NEVER discounted two cents on any piece of merchandise".

Would you purchase a new automobile for $25,000 knowing that the dealer made a profit of $12,500 off you? Would you purchase a new computer for $2500 knowing the dealer made a profit of $1250. Well I wouldn't and neither will the buying public today.

So why does the piano industry still use the present pricing structure?  Why is the Suggested Retail Price on a grand $20,000 while the dealer cost is $10,000? The buying public is just a little to smart these days. You can't consistently manipulate intelligent people.

I recently bought a new GMC service vehicle. For weeks I studied all options and even used the Web where I even could find the dealer invoice prices. When I went to make the deal I know I had to give the dealer a profit but not what he was initially asking. I made a deal when "I felt comfortaable."

Now I ask you all. WHEN DOES A FIRST TIME PIANO SHOPPER FEEL COMFORTABLE? I am a dealer also and I discount just like all the rest. If I didn't I wouldn't sell anything. I am totally embarrassed by having to explain these large discounts but I have to do so or my pianos are perceived to be cheaper than the rest. I also discount right up front.

Here's what can happen. I have a nice console for $5500. Some guy haggles with me for a week I finally sell for $4300 with still a nice profit. Next day grandma comes in and wants a console for her granddaugher for graduation. Grandma makes a selection and whips out her checkbook. Grandma is meek, timid and trusting. So I take her check, then giggle and do a jig when she leaves. Never would I be part of this and that's why I'm still here while a dozen former dealers are gone. That's why my discount is up front and there for all. Maybe that's why I never became a big dealer but I sleep at night.

First time buyers can become totally bewildered. One salesman will shovel baloney to them while another shovels just the opposite. Then add the fictitious pricing and you have one confused potential buyer (who might not then buy at all). Instead of the university sales the industry would be better off just cleaning up it's act. A realistic retail price would be a step in the right direction.

This is not meant to offend Mr. Martin. I suspect his business was back in the "olden days" as he states he was Conn organ dealer.

Sy Zabrocki--RPT