University Sales

Brad Smith bsmith006@sprintmail.com
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 05:25:15 -0500

Michael Jorgensen wrote:
> The pianos get about six
> tunings a year with us plus the servicebond work.  I doubt many home
> pianos receive this in the first year. Also the first and most unstable
> year is spent with us-a knowledgeable and understanding place.

This point strikes to the heart of the matter.  People are given the
impression that most or all of these pianos have been serviced and
recommended by the 'experts' of the University/Symphony/Etc.  This
creates a deception because a new piano out-of-the-crate has not gotten
this extra service.
I have observed that there is some pressure from the manufacturer to do
these sales.  Does the dealer risk losing that particular line of pianos
if they refuse to do the college sale?
The large bulk of my business is new piano sales from several different
dealers.  I have found that the customers who bought at these 'sales'
are usually much less informed about pianos.

A few have seemed stunned,as though they don't know what hit them.
"....I don't know, I was driving past the college, I saw the piano
signs, and I drove in to see what was happening....that's all I remember
Doctor....except for the eyes of the salesman...they had this greenish
glow..."

Brad Smith, RPT
Manchester, NH