SAT QUESTION - clarification clarification (Warning, humor)

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 00:51:38 -0600

Phil and the list:

>On 11/9/97 David Vanderhoofven wrote:
>
> Dear Phil,
>
>The PTG Tuning Exam is given to test how well a piano technician can tune
the >exam piano compared to a good AURAL tuning of that particular piano.

>Blah, Blah, Blah...
>
>Just so you know, the PTG tuning exam compares an examinees best effort to
>tune the exam piano compared to a careful AURAL tuning of that exact
piano.  >The ETD is used ONLY for measuring and recording the pitch of the
individual >notes.

>Blah, Blah, Blah...
>
>The numbers that are stored are the results of an AURAL tuning, not an
Aural >and Visual tuning.

******************************
On 11/9/97 Kent Swafford wrote:

>The preliminary tuning before a master tuning starts is often visual.  A
>VTD is always present during a master tuning, after all, and is sometimes
>consulted.  At this point in the history of piano tuning, I think it is
>only realistic to expect RPT's to use every available tool to create the
>best master tunings possible.
>
>However, the final arbiter in a master tuning, just as it is in the
>tuning exam itself, is always the human ear and not a VTD.
>
>Kent Swafford

I must apologize... I am wrong and Kent is right.  An electronic tuning
device is allowed during the Master Tuning process, for the purpose of
measuring and checking individual notes, but the final judge of the tuning
is the combined.

Enclosed please find a letter from my Doctor explaining my current illness
and suggested course of treatment.  :-)

*************************

Dear Sir or Ma'am,

A recent patient of mine, David Van-something-something-something (Name
changed to protect the guilty) was referred to me for treatment of a
relatively little known but very contagious and widespread disease.  The
patient presented with the following symptoms: Euphoria, head swelled to
almost three times normal size, very opinionated, quick to speak and slow
to think, and with delusions of grandeur.  These symptoms are consistent
with a diagnosis of SHAKE Syndrome (Swelled-Head And Knows Everything).

It seems that the patient passed some sort of tuning exam this past summer,
and as a result began having an opinion on anything and everything related
to pianos.  The patient began having an inflated view of his position in
the piano industry.  The patient could not refrain from sharing his new
found "wisdom" with anyone who would listen, and as a result "raised the
hairs on (more than)a few necks".  The euphoria will diminish with the
passage of a few months, and the swelling of the brain will also go down.
However, even after the tremendous pressure has reduced, the other symptoms
will remain for many years unless treated agressively and decisively.

Treatment: It is imperative that the patient will find a group of skilled
piano technicians who actually know what they are talking about and will
take the time to listen to them.  The patient needs to ensure that his
brain is engaged before giving his opinion on anything related to the piano
industry.  The patient should refrain from speaking or writing for some
time.  It is highly suggested that the patient attend monthly meetings of
the appropriate twelve-step "Chapter".  With this aggressive course of
action, the patient should return to normal, but currently his condition is
guarded at best.  It is extremely unlikely that the delusions of grandeur
will pass, and the patient will likely always imagine that he is more
important than reality suggests.

Signed,

I. M. Adoc, M.D.
Board Certified - Specializing in the Diagnosis and Treatment of SHAKE
Syndrome

Please accept my apologies!

Sincerely,
David Vanderhoofven