Reflecting wave energy in piano strings.

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 13:06:08 +0000

Hello List:
     How can the reflecting of wave energy back into the string from a
bearing point(s) be good?  When waves on the water strike a termination,
such as a beach or seawall, they reflect back offshore forming second
opposing wave train which messes everything up for quite a distance
offshore.  We sailors call that a "confused sea".  Wouldn't waves
reflected around in a piano string do a simular thing? Can a piano
bridge which floats with the strings respond favorably to a confused
wave pattern?   Forgive me for a dumb question, but how can this work?
-Mike Jorgensen RPT