Delaminated pin block query

Wed, 19 Nov 1997 20:35:15 -0800

Newton Hunt wrote:

> Thanks for the praise, Les, almost underserved as it is.
>
> I remember how disappointing the tone of the Yamaha G0 was compared to
> the G1.  I have tuned a number of other smaller pianos by Kimball,
> Wurlitzer, Hardman, Estey and Everett with some sense of disappointment
> in tone and power.
>
> When I walked up to the Schiedmeyer I was bowled over by it's power and
> tone.  I don't impress easily generally, but I was certainly so by this
> one.
>
> I rebuilt (plock, bushings, dampers, shanks, hammers, bridge work and
> rescaling) a 1920 or so Straube from Chicago. It is abouit 4'5" or so.
> I was impresseed by the tone of this litle thing after I got the tension
> and inharmonicity under some control.
>
> I remember a little George Steck 4'6" that impressed me as well and I
> was looking forward to rebuilding one Rutgers had, but I didnj't get
> around to it.
>
> Oh, well, sometimes things work out OK.
>
> I would never pit a 5' piano against a 7', but sometimes one raises to
> become best in breed and best in show.
>
> Thanks, Les.
>
>         Newton
>         nhunt@jagat.com

There is no reason why a sub-five foot piano cannot have as good a tenor/treble section as any other piano. It's in the bass
section where they become a challange to design. Even here, however, they can be clean and pleasant to listen to. One of the
problems with designing small pianos (aside from the fact that there is no room for error) is that marketing wants the same
"power" out of the bass section as their larger pianos have. Big mistake.

-- ddf