tight pinning

Fri, 21 Nov 1997 06:30:23 -0800

Oleg Isaac wrote:

> Hello
>
> So many messages in my mailbox
>
> I have a Bösendorfer "Imperial" I will regulate and reconditonate the
> action in 15 days.
>
> This grand piano is in a very moisty place , something like 65%
> permanent moist, and the pinning is very tight.
>
> I suppose I will go for ā complete re-pinning job, but they need the
> piano for a show and I may do a partial job for the dec 15th, then do
> the repinning, bushing, and so on , in january.
>
> I never had much succes with the water-alcohol mixture, and anyway the
> pinning seems really too tight 1 to 2 movements but no blocking hammer ,
> basically all works, exept for real repetition speed.
>
> Consider the piano will stay in this moisty place - is it correct to re
> pin, or is there a better solution ? (the soundboard seems ok, too much
> crown but it sounds 15 " of nice ringing on note #65)
>
> I will appreciate an idea, something to help me for the regulation at
> first. In my place there is 50% moist env.
> If I dry the flanges, the pinning will free, but I will be papering a
> lot, and it surely will not stay squared and free when it will be back.
>
> Is it a job for Damp-ChaserMan ?...
>
> Best regards to all
>
> Isaac OLEG
> Paris - France

After reading all the advice given to you on installing Dampp-Chaser's in this piano, I came back to your original post to
see what your original problem was. If I understand the above correctly, it is the center pins in the action that are
sluggish. Right?

If this is the case, Dampp-Chaser's will not help at all. Put as many as you like under the soundboard. They may well help to
stabilize the soundboard and the tuning. But, unless you put one in the action cavity just below the pinblock, they will have
no effect on the action center pins. And you should NEVER put a Dampp-Chaser under the pinblock. It will dry out the pinblock
and end up causing pin problems of another kind -- the tuning pins will become quite loose.

Regards,

-- ddf