Horrible example(s) (flame, offtopic)

Fri, 21 Nov 1997 11:09:09 -0800

Bill,

At 10:01 AM 11/21/97 -0500, you wrote:
>   Horace Greeley's is the only comment I'll keep on "horrible example" so
>far in that his statement is basically sound advice even though I feel that
>he still misses my point.  What bothers me is that some people seem to enjoy
>("it made my day") gloating over others mistakes.

There is nothing to be gained from the kinds of seemingly personal
attacks which from time to time arise here, as they do elsewhere in life.
At each instance of feeling our hackles go up, we have a choice as to
how to proceed.  How do we respond when what may be a pet, long-held
belief (as I believe Del has mentioned), is criticized?

What is, to me, important, is the ability to share with each other in an
atmosphere which encourages tolerance and understanding.  No one
of us can begin to have all the answers.  Sometimes the worst offenders
of "non-think" are those of us who have been around for a long time.
I include myself in suggesting that we, as a group, find it all too easy
to dismiss (with varying degrees of condescension) the earnest
inquiries of others.  In the process we only limit our own growth.

Further, if we are each internally brutally honest with ourselves, we'll
recognize/remember those pianos of our "own" we'd love to have back,
if only to cut up and burn in the fireplace - hopefully taking our
embarassment and shame with them as a part of the ritual.  Mine include
a Kranich & Bach, a Chickering, and, yes, a couple of Steinways.  Well,
maybe there were a few others, besides.

All of this is part of personal and professional growth.  We have today
tools which allow us to learn from each other in ways that were only
dreams only 20 years ago.  Will we use them wisely?

Whatever the problem, the answer is love.

Best to all.

Horace

Horace Greeley

Systems Analyst/Engineer