Grand knuckle material

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 10:38:35 -0700

At 06:41 PM 11/23/97 -0600, Bill & Keith wrote:

>>    ...What is the list's concensus on lubing grand knuckles either
>>synthetic or natural?...

If they're synthetic then replace them. We had a tech seminar on that the
other night at our chapter meeting. If the piano is a new Samick the
factory will send you new knuckles and cover the expense if the serial
number is right.

>I now use MIcro-Fine Teflon Powder, available from Bill Spurlock, and
>reapply when the squeaking reappears.

I went down to a local tool store that services the welding trade and
bought a soapstone welder's pencil and holder for about $3. Welders use
them for marking sheet metal. Rub the soapstone on the knuckle. There's no
mess, no fuss, no big expense for the M-F Teflon powder and it works
extremely well.

If you try it, make sure you get the rectangular soapstone for the holder
and not the round pencil-like type, which is harder and doesn't work as well.

			John

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com