Singing Strut -Reply

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 09:28:23 -0800

I once had a client with a lovely  6"5" grand with a strut that sang like a
bird during the winter months when the air was cold (he kept the
temperature low, as he preferred sweaters to heaters) and the problem
disappeared during the summer months.  No kidding.  I sweated bullets
trying to think up a solution, called the manufacturer asking advice, the
whole nine yards.  I want to tell you I had a brilliant flash and the solution
came to me in the heat of inspired intuition.  I want to, but I would be lying.
 One chilly evening as he was playing, my intrepid customert noticed
when he barely touched the strut, the ring stopped, Perhaps a small
absorbant something on the plate,  & he could stop the problem.  After a
few trials, he hit on a 2" piece of self-adhesive velcro, which he stuck on
the hidden side of the strut.  Lo these many years, the problem has
stayed away. Really...

Steve