Grand knuckle material

Tue, 25 Nov 1997 11:41:22 -0800

Billbrpt@aol.com wrote:

> ... Thank you for this information.  What do you recommend as far as
> lubrication?  (when it begins squeaking).  What problems do you fprsee with
> Protek grease being lightly rubbed into it as a lubicant that won't break
> down as easily as some of the fine powders?
>     What should be done about knuckles that have previously been lubed with
> graphite grease and now are squeaking again?
>     Sincerely,
>     Bill Brermmer RPT
>     Madison, Wisconsin
>     "My one and only enemy is mediocrity"

I have only used micro-fine Teflon powder or McLube. In fact, for knuckles, my preference is McLube with a bit of additional
micro-fine Teflon mixed in. This can be brushed on with an acid brush. The liquid carrier of McLube seems to carry the Teflon
powder in a bit further and helps it bond a bit better than it does when it is applied dry. I use this for real leather as
well.

I also don't like using anything resembling grease of any kind on knuckles. It always attracts dirt and dust and eventually
packs down to a rather hard and ugly mass. If I use a liquid, I want something with a carrier that will flash away completely
leaving the knuckle completely dry.

-- ddf