Estonia

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 12:34:57 -0700

Boy, talk about a low price on a piano!  I think a person would be better
off with an Estonia over any Samick owned name or anything out of China.
Then would come Estonia, then Young Chang then on up from there.

I tuned one (a baby) on the showroom floor and my opinion was that it was
difficult
to tune because of inherent problems due to the soft metal in the tuning
pins and their pinblocks and wood quality in general.  The tuning pins
flexed an incredible amount before turning in the wood.  I got it tuned,
however, and it seemed like a decent piano for the money.

Consider my comments on the pinblocks a rumor from another tech.  The rest
was from my
experience with only one piano, for what that's worth!

In the showroom there was also a 9 foot concert Estonia.  This action was
worked over by the more experienced techs and to this day I haven't felt a
nicer action.  Like Butta!  (That's NYC talk for Butter).
One thing about their concert model:  The scale design in the bass is such
that the sustain lasts forever but there is little power in the bass notes.
You can pound on that puppy and it's nice, but with half the volume of what
you would expect.  It would never work in an orchestra setting unless there
were mics inside the case!

Glenn.