Silicone & naphtha -Reply

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Tue, 25 Nov 97 21:29:17 -0600

Vince Mrykalo wrote:

>Kent,
>Could you expand on that (see below)?  Thanks!
>Vince Mrykalo

>As for silicone and naphtha, I still carry it, and still use it -
>sparingly and carefully in limited situations where Protek isn't quite
>the answer.
>
>Kent Swafford

Ah well, I told Newton I would think twice before bringing up the matter
of silicone's use in pianos again.

I gave a good example of Protek being not "quite the answer" when I
related my experience with a Steinway that was bound up with green stuff.
 Protek helped only a bit while Protek followed by silicone freed up this
action.

Silicone's down side has been related very well by Newton.  I agree with
most everything he said, except that I still use it.  I have a long
history of using it, including on my own piano, and I know of no damage
caused by my use of it.

Years ago, I worked on a lot of Wurlitzer electric pianos, whose actions
were subject to the same center pin binding that Wurlizter pianos were
known for.  I could rely on silicone to free those centers.

In 1993 the Midwest had terrible flooding.  I wasn't affected by any
flooding directly, but I was affected as a piano technician by the
extremely high humidity that was brought on by all the rain that caused
all the flooding.  It was the most damaging humidity situation that I
have seen personally during the time I have been a piano tech.  In
September of 1993 I got an emergency call from a hall where I tune.  The
D in the hall, in which the humidity had been higher than we could
measure for weeks, wouldn't play.  I found the problem to be binding jack
centers and binding damper under-lever centers;  the concert could not go
on until the problem was fixed;  silicone and naphtha made the problem go
away immediately, just as I _knew_ it would;  the concert even started on
time, as I recall.

I use Protek and wouldn't be without it, but it has a small downside
itself.  I have noticed that centers treated with Protek develop a slight
"stiction" that must be overcome before the center will move, even though
once the center is moving the friction is indeed reduced.  And Protek has
its own green problem; it reacts with brass and turns green, a fact that
some might see as a definite red flag.

Kent Swafford