Chase square grand restoration? (fwd)

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 20:32:15 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Julie,

Years ago I saw a square with the sides cut down to about half height and
the lid screwed on. It was one of the prettiest, albeit massive, tables I've
ever seen. 8{)}  I'd not recommend spending the money for restoration,
except in a sentimental context. It never was, and, sadly, never will be a
decent instrument. If you have the floor space to spare, keep it and don't
spend a dime. Load the top with family treasures and admire it's beauty
occasionally in passing. This kind of Rosewood is extinct now as far as the
export market is concerned (maybe for real) and you can't get it anymore.

Incidentally (sorry about this) the legs are probably painted poplar.
Rosewood was too valuable, even then, (not to mention brittle) to use in
these massive legs. The wonderful skills required to realistically fake the
effect were both cheaper and more readily available so... The case veneer,
however, is probably the real stuff. For what it's worth.

Ron Nossaman

 Ron Nossaman