Square Grands

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Wed, 01 Oct 1997 10:49:29 -0600

At 08:41 PM 9/30/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Since no one else dares to stand up for sq. grands, I guess I will, fool
>that I may be.

Big difference between "foolish", and "brave", Bob!

 Although every square I have ever worked on has given me
>a painful experience, I must say that I have left a few of these coffins
>with grateful customers. I would rather tune the worst piano in the
>world for someone who would try to play it than tune a beautiful grand
>piano for a customer who doesn't care about it.

True, understood,and you betcha!

>The odds are that the square mentioned in this thread isn't worth
>pursuing. But if the owner has a love for it that overcomes the high
>expense involved and the poor performance and sound to be expected when
>it is compared to a modern piano, then there is certainly some hope.

"Everyone (thing) deserves a chance", eh? I truly applaud your dedication,
and like the Chickering I did for an older person who plays it every day,
there is a great satisfaction in helping people stay in touch with music.
Most of the others I've done were more like "display" items.
	On the other hand (you've got more fingers), it's the REALLY RARE customer
that can be educated so well that their expectations won't be too high.
Nature of the beast, you might say.
	Only real justification might be if you could afford to do the job for
free, so that the customer can't feel cheated.

	But then, who pays the chiropractor?

Guy