Square Grand revisited

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Wed, 01 Oct 1997 14:59:34 -0500

List,

Those interested in the square grand may find this web site interesting:

http://www2.netdoor.com/~rlang/knabe.htm

This guy from the Houston area is restoring a Knabe & Gaehle square
Circa 1841.  He's an engineer, not a piano tech, so you may find some
areas you don't agree with, but all-in-all he's doing a fine job of
preserving a piece of history and doccumenting it on the WWW.  (Note,
you need a browser capable of running Java Script to get the full deal.)

JUST FOR CONSIDERATION:  When I was in college (dark ages) I passed on
an immaculate, factory fuel injected '57 Chevy 2dr  hardtop because the
$750 they were asking was too high and it was an old car.  I don't think
anyone will argue that the '57 Chevy is a "better car" than, say a brand
new Camry or Taurus or whatever, but we all know it will sell for more
money!

Today, to a sophisticated piano person, the square in question is
virtually worthless.  We can't guess if it will be the "57 fuelie" of
the piano world in years to come.  If it brings the owner pleasure, if
it's worth it to her/him, then do what the owner wants - or pass the job
on to someone who will.

Danny Moore
Houston Chapter