Unequal temperaments[

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 21:06:11 -0400

At 03:14 PM 10/3/97 -0700, you wrote:
 The harpsichord,
>with its limitations of tonal expression(compared with the piano),
>benefits by tuning systems which make different keys sound "different".
>This is another tool that the composers for harpsichord could use to
>create a broader range of expression for the instrument.

I would modify this to say that the piano benefits less than the harpsichord
due to its inherent inharmonicity in comparison with the harpsichord.  On
the other hand, I regularly tune 19th century piano tuning variants on
modern pianos with subtle and very effective results.  Try one and then play
through the Chopin Preludes.