"cracking" pins

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 22:54:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, John R Fortiner wrote:

> Hi Les:
> This is the first time that I have communicated with you in person, but I
> have a question regarding "tuning pin driving fluid".  Do you need to
> thin the spar varnish before using it or do you use it as it comes from
> the can?  Does polyurethane varnish also work for the same purpose?
>
>                   Thanks in advance
>                   John R. Fortiner
>                   pianoserv440@juno.com

Hi, John.

Regular spar varnish as it comes from the can, NOT polyurethane. Also,
dipping the pin itself in the varnish seems to invite excess and drips,
at least for me. I swab the hole, itself and then drive in the pin. Try
both approaches, use whichever one works best for you. For anyone who's
evr had to resort to bad language while trying to  tune a piano with
tight, squeaky, jumping pins, the difference that PDF can make is start-
ling. Give it a try. Afterwards, you'll probably ask youself, "Hey, why
didn't someone tell me about this before?" Well, we just did! Ain't Piano-
tech great? :)

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net