Kimball brass rail clips

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 23:23:10 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, Ted!

Boy, did you interpret my message wrong!!!!!!! In my not-so-humble
opinion Schimmel is producing the finest-quality uprights made
today. In terms of playability, TONE-QUALITY and over-all excellence
of construction, they most nearly resemble the old, massive late 19th and
early 20th century Steinway uprights, which I believe were--without
question--the finest ever made. Years ago you could walk blindfolded into
a room filled with uprights and just by playing them, invariably pick
out the Steinway. It was the one whose tone-quality made it sound like
the strings were spun from gold! Even today, one sometimes encounters
one of these old Steinway uprights in unrestored condition, where the
tone-quality is such that even a non-tech will say, "Wow, now THAT's
a PIANO! Indeed.

As I said, the closest one can come to the "old-time Steinway sound"
and that overall excellence in an upright today is in a Schimmel. I
trust that I don't have to waste my time and bandwidth explaining why
you haven't been able to find those qualities in any Steinway uprights
manufactured in a L-----O----N----G Time? Too bad.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net

PS Hopefully, it's self-evident that the above post is concerned with
UPRIGHT PIANO'S, yes?