Cleaning spills on bass wires?

kitster@Polarnet.com kitster@Polarnet.com
Sun, 05 Oct 1997 15:59:14 -0800

Several years ago I got a call for a Kawai UST-7 used in a nightly 1 hr.
show at a local theatre/saloon that caters to tourists.  It was an
emergency...between two shows.  I got there and found most of the bass
section had no musical tone at all.  All the bass notes sounded pretty much
the same, like little hammers beating on a very cheap drum.  The pianist
(who played without the bottom board on the piano) admitted to spilling a
shot of peppermint schnapps into the piano.

I got sevaral bar rags with hot water dripping from them and scrubbed the
bass strings for the half hour I had between shows.  It did a good job of
bringing the strings back to life, for almost exactly an hour, the length
of the show.  I did this for several days, before each show, before the
replacement strings arrived.

The point being, I guess, that in an emergency, Susan's suggestion will
work, and work well.  At least until the water evaporates.

Kit Cleworth

<snip>