Fact Or Fiction..

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Mon, 6 Oct 1997 00:50:35 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Greg,

Thanks for your experience with tuning pin tightener. I've always used it
without resin. I first heard about resin here on the list, and have not
tried adding it yet. The solution works fine without resin, just half
alcohol and 1/2 glycerin, but of course who can say if it would have worked
even better with resin?

I'm still hoping that CA glue will render the whole discussion obsolete. I
don't like the feeling of glycerin treated blocks -- too mushy. They usually
can be tuned, which is the main thing, but I never liked the glycerin, and
used it only from necessity.

Yours,

Susan

At 02:49 AM 10/6/97 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 97-10-05 22:10:33 EDT, Susan Kline writes:
>
><< The tuning pin tightener I've used is 1/2 alcohol, but the alcohol is not
> what is doing the tightening. The tightening agent is glycerin. The alcohol
> is only there to get the glycerin thin enough to wick into the pinblock, so
> its dissipation is not a problem. >>
>
>Dear list:
>
>What about the powdered resin-you get it at the sporting goods store
>(Batter's rosin) and you crush it into a fine powder and mix it in with the
>denatured alcohol and glycerin. I thought THAT was the ingredient that helps
>for regaining friction? Am I wrong on this one? I have used this mix for
>years and it works really well, though obviously not the preferred repair.
>For the old uprights and cheap spinets it is a miracle cure. And I know a few
>tech's that have even used it on Steinways (E-GADS!!) :-) With excellent
>results obtained for many years so the customer could save up for that nice
>rebuild with a new pinblock.....Just my 2 cents....
>
>Greg Torres
>Tunapiana@aol.com

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"I'm glad there are at least some things somewhere that I don't have to do
today."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant