Kimballs

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 06:45:08 -0500

Dear list,
I have been reading my new PTG book about Mid-Western piano builders about
the part in the late 1800's when it was believed that scale designers were
all drunks and that they did a better job on their scales if they were
disposed that way. (Sorry Del)
Also read how Kimball maybe dubiously won the 1893 Grand Prize at Chicago
because of Florence Ziegfield (the head guy) and yes, the same guy that had
the Follies  later, was a personal friend because he was the head of the
Chicago Musical College where Kimball was very generous as to supplying the
school with pianos.
On another note yesterday, I tuned a 1904 Kimball upright that I last tuned
in 1988 and raised it 7% at that time.  That baby was right on pitch
yesterday somehow after 9 years.  Go figure.
James Grebe
R.P.T. from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com
"Do it because it is right"