Rudolf Windhofer #1126

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Thu, 09 Oct 1997 11:59:55 -0600

List,
	Got to look at an oldie-but-goodie(sort-of) yesterday, with that backwards
Vienna-type action. Atlas puts it at about 1895, although it's strung more
like 1850ish. Doesn't compare at all to the American efforts of the time.
	Problem is, that it's a little unlike the other few actions of that type
that I've worked on, and the "escapement" lever block is HEAVILY sprung.
Seems like maybe it was modified, but there's no real evidence of the
springs having been replaced. All the others like that that I've seen have
really light springs on that sucker, so blocking is never a problem. This
one's been breaking hammer shanks because of it. I'd rather see them
"cheat" out on a heavy blow. The felt(or hide) shank block that rides the
escapement lever block is original(in most cases), and seems to still have
plenty of flex.
    I'm sure the springs are kinda brittle, and wonder if anyone out there
has worked on one like this and knows a cheesy-cheap-quick-and-doity way to
lessen the tension on a mass basis, as opposed to replacing each of the
stupid springs.
	The customer, of course, is on a budget, and just wants it "playable". I'm
thinking of getting a signed waiver, to avoid the hightened expectations.

	Thanks in advance,

Guy

Guy Nichols, Member, PTG
nicho@lascruces.com

              "Not everything that counts can be counted,
               and not everything that can be counted counts."
				                          Albert Einstein