Downweight

Robert B Edwardsen edwardsn@mail.rpa.net
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 05:14:39 -0400

I have changed the whippens on a Steinway D from teflon to the new Renner
turbo whippen and lowered my downweight from 60 grams to 38.  No other
replacement whippen in my sample kits got below 60 (same as the teflon).
The hammers and shanks are also Renner (three years old).  The upweight is
30 grams.

At this point I would like to increase the downweight to Steinway
specifications and wondered about other technicians opinion on how to do this:
        A. Remove lead
        B. Decrease whippen helper spring tension
        C. A combination of A & B
        D. Another change not mentioned

Thank you for your opinons,

Rob Edwardsen

COME TO CORNING, NEW YORK FOR THE 1997 NYSCON CONFERENCE OCTOBER 17TH-19TH.
IT'S NOT TO LATE TO SIGN UP!  CALL 1-800-4NYSCON FOR DETAILS.